Retail Items =
$570.80 / Your Cost = $494.00
New for 2017 trout spey models offer trout anglers a new, highly-efficient way to cover water and for you two-handed anglers, a way to scale your favorite pursuit to trout-sized waters. The trout spey allows the angler to fish untouched, tight, brushy areas where back casting space is limited, anywhere distance is needed. i.e beach fishing for Coastal Cutthroat trout in Washington. A longer rod also aids in better mending capabilities. The world of spey has even opened a door to individuals who may have developed joint pain or injuries associated with the wrist, elbow, or rotator cuff, or anybody who has found traditional overhead casting a challenge due to fatigue. The trout spey allows anglers to throw long casts, larger flies all in a relaxed body position with easy and of course the main draw… spey is a world of fun!
We’ve assembled our top pick for the avid angler looking to hit the water without having to wade through the muddy confusion associated with today’s world of Spey. With the correct balance of grains and running line, The Redington Hydrogen rod coupled with the Behemoth reel is a great launching pad for any angler looking for a premo package ready to fish.
THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES 1EACH OF THESE ITEMS
Redington – 11′ 3″ Hydrogen Trout Spey 3113-4
Redington – Behemoth Reel 5/6
OPST – Commando Head – 250gr
OPST – Lazar Running Line – 35lb
OPST – Sink Tip – Riffle (96gr, S2/3)
Backing – 100 yrds 20lb
Leader – 6ft Maxima 8lb
Package comes ready to fish. We spool everything on so all you have to do is attach the reel to the rod, run the line through the guides and tie on a fly.
HYDROGEN TROUT SPEY
*Life Time Warranty* Hydrogen rod family is designed especially for the trout angler. A fine-tuned, medium-fast action combined with the lightest weight components available to give anglers incredible performance with a light in-hand feel. Skeletonized reel seats and single-foot guides help reduce weight, while the rod actions and models will match any trout fishing scenario.
3wt 11′ 3″ : Great for smaller flies and trout. Great for soft hackles, smaller to moderate sized streamers like Sculpzilla’s (approx 1inch to 3inch inch steamers). The 3wt is the preferred rod for places like the Yakima River, Wa.
4wt 11′ 6″ : Great for larger trout and summer run steelhead. Opt for the 4wt if you plan on throwing larger trout flies (1″ to 3.5″) i.e Dali Lama Flies. The 4 wt will be preferred by those fishing larger flies and or on larger rivers like the Yellow Stone River in Montana.
- The lightest rod in its class
- Super-tuned, smooth,medium-fast action blank construction
- Single-foot guides for increased tip recovery
- Skeletonized, CNC machined, anodized aluminum reel seat
- Pinpoint accuracy delivered through improved rod tracking
- Matte finish blank for flash reduction
- Section tips epoxy coated to prevent sticking
- Half-wells, premium gradecork handles
- Euro nymph actions feature a softer tip for easier turnover
- Fully protected cordura rod tube with dividers
- Trout Spey models feature Scandi and Skagit grain ratings on rod blanks
- Trout Spey models feature downlocking skeletonized reel seats for superior in-hand balance
- Trout Spey models feature Zirconia stripping guide inserts to reduce guide/line freeze
- Lifetime warranty
REDINGTON BEHEMOTH – 5/6
Why did we pick the Behemoth? Our new BEHEMOTH reel has been very popular on the Olympic Peninsula, especially for our winter steelhead enthusiasts. Combines the most powerful drag (not that a heavy drag really matters for trout, but it doesn’t hurt) Stunning aesthetics that push the limits of fly reel design. The unique, un-machinable, die-cast construction is coupled with a durable, interlocking, large-arbor spool design that both looks and functions like a premium reel. A super-heavy duty carbon fiber drag package brings the utmost in drag strength, reliability and performance to the family. Sized for your HYDROGEN TROUT SPEY 3-weight or 4-weight. the BEHEMOTH reels offer performance and affordability to beginner and veteran anglers alike.
- Most powerful drag in its class
- Adjustable, CarbonFiber drag
- Unmachinable, unique Die-cast construction
- Large arbor design speeds retrieve and reduces line memory
- Oversized drag knob foreasy adjustment
- Easily converts to left or right hand retrieve
- Deep V-Spool for increased backing capacity
- Twin molded, soft-touch ergonomic handles
- Nylon reel case included
- Lifetime warranty
OPST COMMANDO HEAD – 3wt / 250 grain : 4wt / 300 grain
Here on the Olympic Peninsula we know spey and the Commando head has been an essential tool for our guiding and leisure, steelhead in the winter and trout fishing in the summer. We love these heads for their undeniable practicality. Whether your the seasoned guide or the begging spey caster, these heads are easy to learn and fun to use.
OPST’s Commando Heads are the result of decades of focus on sustained anchor systemology (SAS) by Ed Ward. They are designed to expand the capabilities of shorter spey rods, switch rods and single hand rods beyond that of normal. You may be surprised at their short length, but this was no accident. The ultra-short design provides an effortless casting feel and enhances performance in circumstances of restricted casting room, troublesome winds and in casting bulky flies. It also makes them more fishable than longer lines that are hard to control on the water. Wanna roll cast? Underhand? Nymph? Single hand Skagit with a haul? Overhead? Go right ahead. You have never cast a line like the Commando.
OPST LAZAR LINE – 35lb
Another hot product from OPST and we have been personally fishing this running line for a few years now and recommend it to to anybody looking for a memory free mono running line that allows the angler to cast further and have a light sensitive touch to the fly. OPST Pure Skagit Lazar Line is our finest running line available.
User Note: If you where to step on your mono running line getting a nick in it (this mostly applies to those wearing studs), just cut off a foot or so below the damaged section, tie a new double surgeons loop (super easy) and loop-to-loop back onto your Commando Head. This process may happen on the river and takes a maximum of 5 minutes. Good news is you have 50 meters of running line! We typicality re-spool with fresh mono every two to three seasons depending on use and care. Greatest feature of mono running line is you can simply peel off the damaged sections, cut, re-knot, good to go!
- 50 meters comes already spooled on your reel
- Exceptional durability
- Consistent performance in hot and cold conditions
- No permanent memory at any temperature
- High visibility
- Ties beautiful knots
- Calculated stretch- high knot strength
We Spool on the running line for you!
OPST 12′ SINK TIP – “Riffle Series” 96 grain / S2/3
- RAND NEW! OPST now offers dual density Commando Tips, completing your Pure Skagit system from hook to reel. This Tip is 12 feet long to enhance stick/water load and prevent blown anchors, (making it easier to cast for beginners).
- “Dual Density”: today’s answer to yesterdays technological imperfections. You will notice that the designation on your OPST sink tip is S2/3, meaning the back half of the line is a Type 2 (2 inches per second), and the front half is a Type 3 (3 inches per second). the front tip sinks more than the back, hence the name “dual density” This produces a straighter sink to the fly. (standard level sink tips tend to sink with a sagging belly in the middle) OPST tips are the answer to this technical imperfection .
- OPST tips come with strong welded loops at both ends for easy rigging. The rear ends come with color-coded line IDs to identify both grain weight and sink rate. 96 Grains are looped with Yellow.
6ft MAXIMA LEADER: 8lb
10lb moss green Maxima might be bit large for trout in a clear water scenario but 10lb will have the necessary diameter give turnover larger heavier trout flies i.e the Dali Lama fly. Also, if your just beginning your spey cast learning, 10lb is less likely to tangle up as apposed to a thin diameter i.e 6lb Maxima.
We tie the loop for so all you need to do is loop-to-loop to your OPST Sink Tip and tie on a fly and get to fishing.
all you need to do is select “Right or Left Hand Retrieve” in the drop down on our online store below and we spool the backing on the reel for you. That simple